This history of Marshall Academy, now Marshall University, is a transcription of typescript and holograph manuscript pages written by Virgil Lewis between 1910 and 1912, while he was serving as state archivist of West Virginia. Lewis, as state archivist, had access to sources, many of which are now unavailable to researchers. Of particular note are Lewis's complete transcriptions of the reports of the trustees of Marshall Academy to the Virginia Literary Fund (1839-1846), and his documentation of the years when the academy, later college, came under the control of the Methodist Episcopal Church South (1850-1858).
Teel, Cora P., "A History of Marshall Academy, Marshall College and Marshall College State Normal School by Virgil A. Lewis" (2012). Libraries Faculty Research. 13.