Recent changes in legislation allow for non-physicians to independently perform many of the duties previously restricted to physicians. There are potentially benefits to these changes, but the author is concerned that some of the attributes of physicians induced by the long and rigorous training embedded in the profession may be absent in this new, independent health-care work force.
Conflict(s) of Interest
References with DOI
1. Salem RO, Al-Mously N, AlFadil S, Baalash A. Pre-admission criteria and pre-clinical achievement: Can they predict medical students performance in the clinical phase? Med Teach. 2016;38 (Suppl1):S26-30. https://doi.org/10.3109/0142159x.2016.1142511
2. Miller B, Dzwonek B, McGuffin A, ShapiroJI. From LCME probation to compliance: the Marshall University Joan C Edwards School of Medicine experience. Adv Med Educ Pract. 2014;5:377-382. https://doi.org/10.2147/amep.s70891
3. Potts S, Shields S, Upshur C. Preparing future leaders: an integrated quality improvement residency curriculum. Fam Med. 2016;48:477-481.
4. Dillon D, Gary F. Full practice authority for nurse practitioners. Nurs Adm. 2017; Q 41:86-93.
5. Kilpatrick K et al. A systematic review of the cost-effectiveness of clinical nurse specialists and nurse practitioners in inpatient roles. Nurs Leadersh. 2015;28:56-76.
6. Reilly R et al. Effectiveness, cost effectiveness, acceptability and implementation barriers/enablers of chronic kidney disease management programs for indigenous people in Australia, New Zealand and Canada: a systematic review of mixed evidence. BMC Health Serv Res. 2016;16:119. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-016-1363-0
7. Lacny S et al. Cost-effectiveness of a nurse practitioner-family physician model of care in a nursing home: controlled before and after study. J Adv Nurs. 2016;72:2138-2152. https://doi.org/10.1111/jan.12989
Shapiro, Joseph I.
"Education of Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants; What Role, if any, for Physicians in Determining Their Scope of Practice?,"
Marshall Journal of Medicine:
1, Article 3.
Available at: http://mds.marshall.edu/mjm/vol3/iss1/3