Photos ca. 1870’s
The two-story brick building was built in 1839. (Far right section of photo below)The second section was begun in 1856 and completed in 1857-58 and joined on the west end 0f 1839 building. (Second section from right in photo below) The 1870 addition was added on the west end of 1857 building. This addition contained the large bell tower. The 1870 section remains as the oldest section surviving of this original set of buildings. Became the State Normal School in 1867.
Construction/ Completion Date: 1839-1870
Demolition/Razed Date: 1839-1857 buildings razed in 1898
Marshall University Buildings, Old Main, Marshall College Buildings, Marshall College Old Main, Marshall College State Normal School