Download Full Text (12.5 MB)
Cabell-Wayne Historical Society Collection
Marshall University Archives and Special Collections
Ms26,Bx 14, Fd11, item13: Fort Sumter, September 1863, interior, looking north, after first great bombardment, 18.5x12.5cm Fort Sumter as it was during the War, showing the effects of the bombardment by Maj. John Johnson, Engineer at Fort Sumter Publisher: Walker, Evans & Cogswell Co.,Charleston, S.C. Compliments of J. F. Weruer, Sullivans Island, S.C. Sergent Charles E. Walker, Battery M. 1 artillery, Sullevans Island, South Carlina Occupied by the Confederates. Repaired and completed on its original plans, Fort Sumter became the Citadel of Charleston Harbor, with a garrison of 550 artillerists, and an armament of about 80 guns. From the attack by DuPont's armored squadron in April, 1863, the Fort suffered little, not enough to change its appearance on the exerrior. But, when in the summer of the same year, the breaching batteries of rifle cannon, directed by Gereral Gillmore, opened on the Fort from Morris Island, assisted by the armored squadron, the demolition of the work was brought about in one week, and the silencing of its guns soon followed. The appearance of the interior of the Fort, after this first bombarddment, is seen in the photo-view presented in the photo. The observer is looking northwardly from the level of the parade towards the salient and its two adjacent faces. On the left, a single gun in barbette is pointed toward the city; the flag staff is seen at the eastern angle of the sea-face, or right flank, opposite Fort Moultrie, while the upper casemates of three side of the Fort, and both the eastern and western barracks are destroyed. The gorge is not seen, being in the fore-ground; its upper part was destroyed, but its mass remained indestructible to the end. No work of repair or refitting had yet been done.
"Fort Sumter, September 1863, interior, looking north, after first great bombardment" (1863). 0099: Cabell-Wayne Historical Society Collection. 660.