Camp Washington Carver
Virtual or On-line Exhibit
A virtual exhibit devoted to the first African-American 4-H Camp in the United States. Established in 1937, the camp was initially called the Negro 4-H Camp, but was renamed Camp Washington Carver in 1947, after two prominent African-Americans, George Washington Carver and Booker T. Washington.The camp provided recreational, crafts, sports and other activities for the youth. In 1971 the camp was transferred to the control of the West Virginia State College and in 1978 to the West Department of Culture and History, which ended it traditional mission. In 1981 Governor Jay Rockefeller dedicated the site as Mountain Cultural Arts Center. The exhibit includes still and moving images, sound recordings, oral history transcripts, and other historical materials, all from the period when it functioned as a 4-H camp.
Lisle G Brown, Camp Washington Carver, Virtual Museum Exhibit (http://www.marshall.edu/special-collections/cwc/default.asp), Marshall University, Huntington, WV, 2004.