Introduction:Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) is a relatively new strategy for replacing the aortic valve. We elected to review our early experience to see if we could identify clinical characteristics at baseline or immediately following the procedure that would predict death within one year.
Methods:Charts for all patients assigned to receive TAVR procedure at St Mary’s medical center, Huntington, West Virginia between April, 2013 till November, 2016 were identified and reviewed. A total of seventy-two (72) cases were included.
Results: All cause mortality rate at index hospitalization, 30 days, and 12 months was 5.6%(N=4), 6.9%(N=5), 19.4%(N=14) respectively. Stroke rate at index hospitalization, 30 days, and 12 months was 2.8%(N=2), 2.8%(N=2), 8.3%(N=6) respectively. Major predictors of death were post procedure GFR, Contrast volume, and number of antiplatelet agents therapy (AUC= 0.638, 0.632, 0.637 respectively).
Conclusion: We found that post procedure GFR, less number of antiplatelet agents post procedure, and contrast volume may predict mortality within first 12 months post TAVR. Further studies focused on the above factors may be warranted.
Conflict(s) of Interest
References with DOI
1. Franzone A, Piccolo R, Siontis GC, Lanz J, Stortecky S, Praz F, Roost E, Vollenbroich R, Windecker S, Pilgrim T. Transcatheter aortic valve replacement for the treatment of pure native aortic valve regurgitation: a systematic review. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2016;9:2308-2317. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcin.2016.08.049
2. Leon MB, Smith CR, Mack M, Miller DC, Moses JW, Svensson LG, Tuzcu EM, Webb JG, Fontana GP, Makkar RR, Brown DL, Block PC, Guyton RA, Pichard AD, Bavaria JE, Herrmann HC, Douglas PS, Petersen JL, Akin JJ, Anderson WN, Wang D, Pocock S, Investigators PT. Transcatheter aortic-valve implantation for aortic stenosis in patients who cannot undergo surgery. N Engl J Med. 2010;363:1597-607. https://doi.org/10.1056/nejmoa1008232
3. Adams DH, Popma JJ, Reardon MJ. Transcatheter aortic-valve replacement with a self-expanding prosthesis. N Engl J Med. 2014;371:967-8. https://doi.org/10.1056/nejmc1408396
4. Leon MB, Smith CR, Mack MJ, Makkar RR, Svensson LG, Kodali SK, Thourani VH, Tuzcu EM, Miller DC, Herrmann HC, Doshi D, Cohen DJ, Pichard AD, Kapadia S, Dewey T, Babaliaros V, Szeto WY, Williams MR, Kereiakes D, Zajarias A, Greason KL, Whisenant BK, Hodson RW, Moses JW, Trento A, Brown DL, Fearon WF, Pibarot P, Hahn RT, Jaber WA, Anderson WN, Alu MC, Webb JG, Investigators P. Transcatheter or surgical aorticvalve replacement in intermediate-risk patients. N Engl J Med. 2016;374:1609-20. https://doi.org/10.1056/nejmoa1514616
5. Khitan Z, Shapiro AP, Shah PT, Sanabria JR, Santhanam P, Sodhi K, Abraham NG, Shapiro JI. Predicting adverse outcomes in chronic kidney disease using machine learning methods: data from the modification of diet in renal disease. Marshall Journal of Medicine. 2017;3:67-79. https://doi.org/10.18590/mjm.2017.vol3.iss4.10
6. Gullo CA, McCarthy MJ, Shapiro JI, Miller BL. Predicting medical student success on licensure exams. Med Sci Educ. 2015;25:447-453. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40670-015-0179-6
7. Chen T, Cao Y, Zhang Y, Liu J, Bao Y, Wang C, Jia W, Zhao A. Random forest in clinical metabolomics for phenotypic discrimination and biomarker selection. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2013;2013:298183. https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/298183
8. Khondoker MR, Bachmann TT, Mewissen M, Dickinson P, Dobrzelecki B, Campbell CJ, Mount AR, Walton AJ, Crain J, Schulze H, Giraud G, Ross AJ, Ciani I, Ember SW, Tlili C, Terry JG, Grant E, McDonnell N, Ghazal P. Multi-factorial analysis of class prediction error: estimating optimal number of biomarkers for various classification rules. J Bioinform Comput Biol. 2010;8:945-65. https://doi.org/10.1142/s0219720010005063
9. Zhang Z. A gentle introduction to artificial neural networks. Ann Transl Med. 2016;4:370. https://doi.org/10.21037/atm.2016.06.20
10. Tsiliki G, Munteanu CR, Seoane JA, Fernandez-Lozano C, Sarimveis H, Willighagen EL. RRegrs: an R package for computer-aided model selection with multiple regression models. J Cheminform. 2015;7:46. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13321-015-0094-2
11. Liu R, Li X, Zhang W, Zhou HH. Comparison of nine statistical model based warfarin pharmacogenetic dosing algorithms using the racially diverse International Warfarin Pharmacogenetic Consortium Cohort Database. PLoS One. 2015;10:e0135784. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0135784
12. Robin X, Turck N, Hainard A, Tiberti N, Lisacek F, Sanchez JC, Muller M. pROC: an open-source package for R and S+ to analyze and compare ROC curves. BMC Bioinformatics. 2011;12:77. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2105-12-77
13. Emir B, Johnson K, Kuhn M, Parsons B. Predictive modeling of response to pregabalin for the treatment of neuropathic pain using 6-week observational data: a spectrum of modern analytics applications. Clin Ther. 2017;39:98-106. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinthera.2016.11.015
14. Hengl T, Mendes de Jesus J, Heuvelink GB, Ruiperez Gonzalez M, Kilibarda M, Blagotic A, Shangguan W, Wright MN, Geng X, Bauer-Marschallinger B, Guevara MA, Vargas R, MacMillan RA, Batjes NH, Leenaars JG, Ribeiro E, Wheeler I, Mantel S, Kempen B. SoilGrids250m: Global gridded soil information based on machine learning. PLoS One. 2017;12:e0169748. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0169748
15. Gallo S, Hazell T, Vanstone CA, Agellon S, Jones G, L'Abbe M, Rodd C, Weiler HA. Vitamin D supplementation in breastfed infants from Montreal, Canada: 25-hydroxyvitamin D and bone health effects from a follow-up study at 3 years of age. Osteoporos Int. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-016-3549-z
16. Wendt D, Thielmann M, Kahlert P, Kastner S, Price V, Al-Rashid F, Patsalis P, Erbel R, Jakob H. Comparison between different risk scoring algorithms on isolated conventional or transcatheter aortic valve replacement. Ann Thorac Surg. 2014;97:796-802. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.athoracsur.2013.09.012
17. Thongprayoon C, Cheungpasitporn W, Srivali N, Kittanamongkolchai W, Greason KL, Kashani KB. Incidence and risk factors of acute kidney injury following transcatheter aortic valve replacement. Nephrology (Carlton). 2016;21:1041-1046. https://doi.org/10.1111/nep.12704
18. Crowhurst JA, Savage M, Subban V, Incani A, Raffel OC, Poon K, Murdoch D, Saireddy R, Clarke A, Aroney C, Bett N, Walters DL. Factors contributing to acute kidney injury and the impact on mortality in patients undergoing transcatheter aortic valve replacement. Heart Lung Circ. 2016;25:282-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hlc.2015.06.832
19. Marbach JA, Feder J, Yousef A, Ramirez FD, Simard T, DiSanto P, Russo JJ, Boland P, Labinaz M, Glover C, Dick A, Hibbert B. Predicting acute kidney injury following transcatheter aortic valve replacement. Clin Invest Med. 2017;40:E243-E251. https://doi.org/10.25011/cim.v40i6.29125
20. Ram P, Mezue K, Pressman G, Rangaswami J. Acute kidney injury post-transcatheter aortic valve replacement. Clin Cardiol. 2017;40:1357-1362. https://doi.org/10.1002/clc.22820
21. Thongprayoon C, Cheungpasitporn W, Podboy AJ, Gillaspie EA, Greason KL, Kashani KB. The effects of contrast media volume on acute kidney injury after transcatheter aortic valve replacement: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Evid Based Med. 2016;9:188-193. https://doi.org/10.1111/jebm.12208
22. Gargiulo G, Sannino A, Capodanno D, Perrino C, Capranzano P, Barbanti M, Stabile E, Trimarco B, Tamburino C, Esposito G. Impact of postoperative acute kidney injury on clinical outcomes after transcatheter aortic valve implantation: A meta-analysis of 5,971 patients. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2015;86:518-27. https://doi.org/10.1002/ccd.25867
23. Putzu A, Boscolo Berto M, Belletti A, Pasotti E, Cassina T, Moccetti T, Pedrazzini G. Prevention of contrastinduced acute kidney injury by furosemide with matched hydration in patients undergoing interventional procedures: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2017;10:355-363. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcin.2016.11.006
24. Barbanti M, Gulino S, Capranzano P, Imme S, Sgroi C, Tamburino C, Ohno Y, Attizzani GF, Patane M, Sicuso R, Pilato G, Di Landro A, Todaro D, Di Simone E, Picci A, Giannetto G, Costa G, Deste W, Giannazzo D, Grasso C, Capodanno D, Tamburino C. Acute kidney injury with the RenalGuard System in patients undergoing transcatheter aortic valve replacement: The PROTECT-TAVI Trial (prophylactic effect of furosemide-induced diuresis with matched isotonic intravenous hydration in transcatheter aortic valve implantation). JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2015;8:1595-604. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcin.2015.07.012
25. Cribier A. The development of transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR). Glob Cardiol Sci Pract. 2016;2016:e201632. https://doi.org/10.21542/gcsp.2016.32
26. Hecker F, Arsalan M, Walther T. Managing stroke during transcatheter aortic valve replacement. Interv Cardiol. 2017;12:25-30. https://doi.org/10.15420/icr.2016:26:1
27. Mastoris I, Schoos MM, Dangas GD, Mehran R. Stroke after transcatheter aortic valve replacement: incidence, risk factors, prognosis, and preventive strategies. Clin Cardiol. 2014;37:756-64. https://doi.org/10.1002/clc.22328
28. Wang N, Phan K. Cerebral protection devices in transcatheter aortic valve replacement: a clinical meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Thorac Dis. 2018;10:1927-1935. https://doi.org/10.21037/jtd.2018.01.151
29. Toppen W, Johansen D, Sareh S, Fernandez J, Satou N, Patel KD, Kwon M, Suh W, Aksoy O, Shemin RJ, Benharash P. Improved costs and outcomes with conscious sedation vs general anesthesia in TAVR patients: Time to wake up? PLoS One. 2017;12:e0173777. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0173777
30. Nishimura RA, Otto CM, Bonow RO, Carabello BA, Erwin JP, 3rd, Guyton RA, O'Gara PT, Ruiz CE, Skubas NJ, Sorajja P, Sundt TM, 3rd, Thomas JD and American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice G. 2014 AHA/ACC guideline for the management of patients with valvular heart disease: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014;63:e57-185.
31. Verdoia M, Barbieri L, Nardin M, Suryapranata H, De Luca G. Dual versus single antiplatelet regimen with or without anticoagulation in transcatheter aortic valve replacement: indirect comparison and meta-analysis. Rev Esp Cardiol (Engl Ed). 2018;71:257-266.
32. Raheja H, Garg A, Goel S, Banerjee K, Hollander G, Shani J, Mick S, White J, Krishnaswamy A, Kapadia S. Comparison of single versus dual antiplatelet therapy after TAVR: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1002/ccd.27582
Yousef, George M.; Poe, Julia; Killmer, Cameron; Edris, Basel; Mader, Jason; Thompson, Ellen A.; Snavely, Daniel; Cansino, Silvestre; Shapiro, Joseph I.; and Studeny, Mark a.
"Outcomes of Transcutaneous Aortic Valve Replacement among high risk WV sample population.,"
Marshall Journal of Medicine:
4, Article 6.
Available at: https://mds.marshall.edu/mjm/vol4/iss4/6