Address on Behalf of the Faculty
Download Full Text
In 1853, Marshall College in Mercersburg, Pennsylvania merged with Franklin College in Lancaster to become Franklin & Marshall College. Nevin, who had served as Marshall’s last president (1841-53) and would go on to become a faculty member and president of Franklin & Marshall (1861-76), was one of the speakers at the new institution’s formal opening ceremony. His address was published in Formal Opening of Franklin and Marshall College in the City of Lancaster, June 7, 1853: Together with Addresses Delivered on the Occasion (Lancaster, PA: Published by Order of the Board of Trustees, 1853). It is not a sermon, nor was it delivered in Appalachia; it is nonetheless included in the Library to help illustrate the full range of Nevin’s oratory.
Published by order of the Board of Trustees
Appalachia, Pennsylvania, John Williamson Nevin, Presbyterian Church, Reformed Church in the United States, Sermons
Appalachian Studies | Digital Humanities | Other Religion | Rhetoric
Levin, John Williamson, "Address on Behalf of the Faculty" (1853). Nevin, John Williamson, 1803-1886. 1.