The First Presbyterian Church of Huntington Archives contain material dating back to the early nineteenth century, with the bulk of the items dating from between the 1880s and the 1990s. The collection consists primarily of 'Minutes of Session,' which relate to official church business; 'Bulletins,' which give information about church sermons, calendars, and events; and 'Church Groups,' which provide information on the social structure and individuals within the Church. There are extensive financial records pertaining to the church, as well as membership rosters for many Church groups, and some marriage/baptism registers. Also included are a few "histories" written by Church members and documents concerning Church government.
Within the 'Church Groups' section, there are several points to note. First, this section contains the records of a women's group that is variously called the Women's Auxiliary, Woman's Auxiliary, Women of the Church, the Ladies' Missionary Society, the Ladies' Home and Foreign Missionary Society, the Ladies' Aid Society, and the Ladies' Guild. They are, however, all the same Church group. Secondly, there are records for other Church groups not related to the above (for example, the Mother's Group), as well as Directories and Yearbooks for these groups.
Special collections material is obtained from many sources and is intended primarily for research and educational purposes. Certain works may be protected by copyright, trademark, or related interests not governed by the department. It is up to the researcher to verify that they have permission to use these materials for publication or other activities.
Access and Use
For more information or to use any of these collections, contact:
Special Collections, Morrow Library
One John Marshall Drive
Huntington, WV 25755
First Presbyterian Church [Huntington, WV] Records, 1839-1990, Accession No. 2007/02.0757, Special Collections Department, Marshall University, Huntington, WV.