Idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss (ISSHL) is an otologic emergency that can provoke anxiety in the patient and can be clinically challenging for the practitioner. The natural history of the condition can be as varied as its possible etiologies. Adding to the clinical challenge is the current debate of treatment modalities available. In what follows, we provide a case detailing our treatment course, including the novel use of hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) as an emerging therapy for sensorineural hearing loss. Additionally, we provide a brief review of the current state of treatment options available in the armament for ISSHL. As no identifying information is contained in our discussion, we believe the privacy of the patient has been protected and, as such, feel our manuscript is exempt from prior Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval.
Conflict(s) of Interest
References with DOI
1. Byl F. Sudden hearing loss: eight years’ experience and suggested prognostic table. The Laryngoscope. 1984;94(5):647-661. https://doi.org/10.1288/00005537-198405000-00014
2. Rauch S. Idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss. N Engl J Med. 2008;359(8):833-40. https://doi.org/10.1056/nejmcp0802129
3. Stachler R, Chandrasekhar S, Archer S et al. Clinical practice guideline: sudden hearing loss. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2012;146(3 Suppl):S1-S35. https://doi.org/10.1177/0194599812436449
4. Schuknecht H, Donovan E. The pathology of idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 1986;243(1):1-15. https://doi.org/10.1007/bf00457899
5. Linthicum F, Doherty J, Berliner K. Idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss: vascular or viral?. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2013;149(6):914-917. https://doi.org/10.1177/0194599813506546
6. Mattox D, Simmons F. Natural history of sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 1977;86:463-80. https://doi.org/10.1177/000348947708600406
7. Wei B, Stathopoulos D, O'Leary S. Steroids for idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.cd003998.pub3
8. Wilson W, Byl F, N L. The efficacy of steroids in the treatment of idiopathic sudden hearing loss. A double-blind clinical study. Arch Otolaryngol. 1980;106(12):772-6. https://doi.org/10.1001/archotol.1980.00790360050013
9. Aslan I. Does the addition of hyperbaric oxygen therapy to the conventional treatment modalities influence the outcome of sudden deafness? Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2002;126(2):121-126. https://doi.org/10.1067/mhn.2002.121915
10. Topuz E, Yigit O, Cinar U, Seven H. Should hyperbaric oxygen be added to treatment in idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss?. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2004;261(7). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00405-003-0688-6
11. Bennett M, Kertesz T, Yeung P. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss and tinnitus: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials. J Laryngol Otol. 2005;119(10). https://doi.org/10.1258/002221505774481246
Crigger, MD, Chad B. and Wilson, MD, Stephen L.
"The Use of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy in Idiopathic Sensorineural Hearing Loss: A Case Study,"
Marshall Journal of Medicine:
3, Article 5.
Available at: https://mds.marshall.edu/mjm/vol2/iss3/5