Peripheral Vascular Disease (PVD) is a rapidly growing and recognized disease of the peripheral circulation. Its presentation can vary between asymptomatic state, exercise limiting limb pain, limb loss and even death. Advances have been achieved in the treatment of PVD specially in the field of interventional cardiovascular medicine. Different devices and techniques are used in the treatment of peripheral atherosclerotic disease, which has lowered the need for bypass surgery. Although invasive peripheral intervention has a low rate of complications, there are still well recognized acute and chronic complications that an operator should be aware of. We present an interesting case of acute limb ischemia due to Superficial Femoral Artery (SFA) stent fracture.
Conflict(s) of Interest
References with DOI
1. Iida O, Nanto S, Uematsu M, Morozumi T, Kotani J, Awata M, et al. Effect of exercise on frequency of stent fracture in the superficial femoral artery. Am J Cardiol. 2006;98:272–274. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjcard.2006.01.091
2. Adlakha S, Sheikh M, Wu J, Burket MW, Pandya U, Colyer W, et al. Stent fracture in the coronary and peripheral arteries. J Interv Cardiol. 2010;23:411–419. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-8183.2010.00567.x
3. B.H. Gray, T.M. Sullivan, M.B. Childs, et al.High incidence of restenosis/reocclusion of stent in the percutaneous treatment of long-segment superficial femoral artery disease after suboptimal angioplasty. J Vasc Surg. 1997;25(1):74-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0741-5214(97)70323-9
4. Scheinert D, Scheinert S, Sax J, Piorkowski C, Braunlich S, Ulrich M, et al. Prevalence and clinical impact of stent fractures after femoropopliteal stenting. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005;45:312–315. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2004.11.026
5. Park JY, Jeon YS, Cho SG, et al. Stent fractures after superficial femoral artery stenting. Journal of the Korean Surgical Society. 2012;83(3):183-186. https://doi.org/10.4174/jkss.2012.83.3.183
6. Dippel EJ, Makam P, Kovach R, et al. Randomized Controlled Study of Excimer Laser Atherectomy for Treatment of Femoropopliteal In-Stent Restenosis: Initial Results From the EXCITE ISR Trial (EXCImer Laser Randomized Controlled Study for Treatment of FemoropopliTEal In-Stent Restenosis). J Am Coll Cardiol Intv. 2015;8(1_PA):92-101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcin.2014.09.009
7. Palena LM, Cester G, Manzi M. Endovascular treatment of in-stent occlusion: new technique for recanalization of long superficial femoral artery occlusion (direct stent puncture technique) Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2012;35:418–421. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00270-011-0260-5
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.
Gabi, Alaa; Amro, Ahmed; Aljoudi, Haytham; Hayat, Faisal; and Sayyed, Rameez
"Acute Limb Ischemia due to a Fractured Superficial Femoral Artery Stent,"
Marshall Journal of Medicine:
4, Article 12.
Available at: https://mds.marshall.edu/mjm/vol2/iss4/12