Scrotal herniation of the bladder is a rare event and can be associated with bladder outlet obstruction, bladder infarction and renal impairment. This condition is also associated with a significant mortality rate. We present a case report of extensive scrotal cystocele involving 90% of the bladder in which the diagnosis was suggested by KUB, pelvic ultrasound, and pelvic CT imaging showing distorted bladder anatomy and the presence of several large bladder calculi.
Conflict(s) of Interest
References with DOI
1. Bisharat M, O’Donnell ME, Thompson T, Mackenzie N, Kirkpatrick D, Spence RA, Lee J. Complications of inguinoscrotal bladder hernias: a case series. Hernia. June 14, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10029-008-0389-6
2. Pasquale MD, Shabahang M, Evans SR. Obstructive uropathy secondary to massive inguinoscrotal bladder herniation. J Urol. 1993;150(6):1906-08. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0022-5347(17)35931-1
3. Postma MP, Smith R. Scrotal cystocele with bladder calculi (case report). AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1986;147(2):287-288. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.147.2.287
4. Juan Escudero JU, Ramos de Campos M, Ordoño Domínguez F, Fabuel Deltoro M, Serrano de la Cruz Torrijos F, Navalón Verdejo P, López Alcina E, Zaragoza Orts J. Arch Esp Urol. 60(3):231-6.
5. Weingardt JP, Russ PD, Ch’en IY, Robb LD, Pomerantz H. Scrotal cystocele detected by sonography. J Ultrasound Med. 1996 15(7):539-42. https://doi.org/10.7863/jum.1922.214.171.1249
6. Croushore JH, Black RB. Scrotal cystocele. J Urol. 1979;121(4):541-2. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0022-5347(17)56860-3
7. Adesunkanmi AR, Badmos TA, Salako AA. Groin hernias in patients 50 years of age and above pattern and outcome of management in 250 consecutive patients. West Afr J Med. 2000;19(2):142-7.
"Massive Inguinoscrotal Bladder Herniation with Calculi, and Bladder Outlet Obstruction,"
Marshall Journal of Medicine:
4, Article 5.
Available at: https://mds.marshall.edu/mjm/vol3/iss4/5